Business education needed in schools, says Apprentice star
www.startups.co.uk - 4th August 2010
Schools should teach young people more about business and enterprise, according to former Apprentice winner Tim Campbell.
Speaking at a small business roundtable today, Campbell, who founded the Bright Ideas Trust, highlighted the importance of providing more support for aspiring business owners, and emphasised the value of Britain’s youth in enterprise.
He said: “Children should learn in schools how to set up a business. The beauty of youth is that you have got no fear or responsibilities, and we need more young people coming up with business ideas.”
The T-Mobile Business Sense Roundtable looked at what needs to be done to allow small companies and start-ups to succeed in the coming years.
The panel, which included several small business owners, cited cashflow as the main challenge faced by many firms at present. Also identified as a major hurdle was the forthcoming VAT rise – the rate will go from 17.5% to 20% from January 2011.
Another panellist, Andrew Cave, head of policy at the Federation of Small Businesses (FSB), explained the need for the government to tackle late payments.
He said: “There is a lot that can be done to change the behaviour of big businesses and suppliers in the private sector to ease cashflow for smaller firms.”
Cave also drew attention to the lack of loyal relationships and understanding between banks and businesses, which he said needed to be repaired to provide the necessary support for enterprise to grow.
He added: “The main port of call for advice and help for small businesses is the banks. We need to get the banks to return to that model of helping small companies and offering them advice.”
Also on the panel were Geraldine Brooks, founder of female business networking organisation Sugargroup, and Dave Miller and Jim Blakemore, co-founders of the social enterprise Bikeworks.
Other news items
- Tim Campbell interview in 'The Recruiter', posted on 14-08-2013
- Tim Campbell - Great North Run for Christian Aid, posted on 20-10-2009
- Business education needed in schools, says Apprentice star, posted on 06-08-2010
- Tim Campbell, Channel 4 News Thursday, 27th July 2010, posted on 02-08-2010
- Apprentice of The Year 2010 Awards, posted on 23-07-2010
- Tim Campbell joins Mayor in capital training drive, posted on 09-07-2010
- A Bright Idea becomes a Grand Idea, posted on 08-06-2010
- London Marathon 2010, posted on 30-04-2010
- Cabinet Office - News Release 10th July 2009, posted on 20-08-2009
- Tim Campbell at Guildford College, posted on 23-02-2009
- Watch Tim on You Tube - Bright Ideas Trust, posted on 23-02-2009
- Tim Campbell inspires firms to take advantage of emerging talent, posted on 28-03-2013